How To Neighbor – Part 3
Pastor Louis Johnson, October 23, 2016
Notes From This Sermon
EMPOWERING THE POOR
Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me. Matthew 25:40
If you help the poor, you are lending to the LORD… Proverbs 19:17 NLT
If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person? 18 Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth. 1 John 3:17-18
WHAT IS POVERTY?
- MOST AMERICANS DEFINE POVERTY AS A LACK OF SOMETHING MATERIAL.
- THE TRULY POOR DEFINE POVERTY AS A MINDSET.
- THE ROOT OF ALL POVERTY IS BROKENNESS.
“The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free, 19 to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.” Luke 4:18-19
WE ARE CALLED
- TO SERVE OTHERS NOT SAVE OTHERS.
- Relief: immediate, temporary help during and after a crisis.
- Restoration: long-term relationship to rebuild wholeness.
- TO RELATE WITH PEOPLE NOT RESCUE PEOPLE.
- TO REACH OUT NOT REACH DOWN.